FOR READY-TO-GO FILLO DOUGH
:: Thaw by doing one of the following
To use a full case:
- Remove case from freezer and place in cooler for 24 hours. Ready-To-Go Fillo Dough has a shelf life of 30 days in your cooler. Remove case from cooler and place in room temperature for approximately 2 hours so fillo will be flexible.
- Remove case from freezer and place on counter at room temperature overnight
To use a few sets:
- Thaw as above and store case in cooler up to 30 days.
- If only using a few Ready-to-Go Fillo Dough sets, carefully remove them from zipper bag.
- Cover sets completely with a plastic bag or plastic wrap and let temper on counter approximately 5-10 minutes per set.
- Reseal zipper bag and return unused fillo to coller for up to 30 days.
- To hasten thawing and tempering, remove bag of fillo from the case, but do not remove fillo from the bag until ready to use.
:: Handling and general use
- Fillo must be completely thaed and brought close to room temperature to work with properly.
- Keep fillo covered in plastic bag or wrap before use to prevent drying.
- There is no need to brush additional shortening on the fillo to prepare your favorite recipe. However, you may want to brush the outside of unbaked product with butter, shortening or margarine to seal and enhance crispness and browning.
- For additional shine and a richer color, brush top of product with egg wash before baking. For sweets, an additional sprinkling of large sugar crystals gives added sparkle.
- Recommended bake temperature from 370°F to 400°F.
:: How many sets are in a box?
- Approximately 17 sets / 5 sheets each in a 5 lb. box
- Approximately 50 sets / 5 sheets each in a 15 lb. box
:: What is the shelf life?
- Refrigerated – 1 month
- Frozen – 9 months
FOR FILLO DOUGH
- Never wait for your fillo to defrost again! Store unopened Athens® Fillo Dough in the refrigerator instead of the freezer. It can stay there for up to 4 weeks and be on hand and ready to use whenever you need it.
- Wrap any leftover fillo tightly with plastic wrap and keep in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For longer storage, refreeze fillo. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and overlay with foil and store in freezer up to 9 months.
:: Thawing – Thaw in cooler
- Remove case from freezer and place in cooler for 24 hours. Unopened fillo has a shelf life of 30 days in your cooler. Remove case from cooler and place in room temperature for approximately 3 hours so fillo will be flexible.
:: Thawing – Thaw at room temperature
- Allow fillo to thaw in box at room temperature at least 5 hours.
- Do not open until all other ingredients are assembled and you are ready to work.
- Carefully unroll fillo sheets on a smooth, dry surface.
- Remove any fillo you don’t need for your recipe, reroll, wrap in plastic and return to cooler up to 2 weeks.
:: Working with fillo is quick and easy!
- Immediately cover fillo with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
- Do not leave fillo uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
- Microwave butter until melted.
- Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil, or spray with a thin coating of vegetable oil.
- To prevent edges from cracking, lightly brush edges first and then work into center.
- Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
- Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
- Brush the seal before baking.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet.
:: Other helpful hints
- Use a soft bristle brush to spread oil or butter over fillo, not a hard bristle brush.
- The faster you can work, the easier working with fillo will be.
:: How many sheets are in a one-pound box?
- Approximately 20 sheets in the Athens® 1 lb. box (14″ x 18″ sheets)
- Approximately 28 sheets in the Apollo® 1 lb. box (12″ x 17″ sheets)
:: How many sheets is a serving of 55 grams?
- 2-1/2 sheets = 1 serving in Athens® 1 lb. box (14″ x 18″ sheets)
- 3 sheets = 1 serving in Apollo® 1 lb. box (12″ x 17″ sheets)
FOR KATAIFI (SHREDDED FILLO DOUGH)
:: Handling and general use
- Allow Kataifi to thaw unopened in refrigerator overnight.
- Cover shredded fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
- Remove a handful of shredded dough and loosen by gently pulling strands with both hands working in opposite directions.
- Lay shredded fillo on ungreased pan and spread with fingertips.
- Replace unused shredded fillo in plastic bag, seal tightly and refreeze up to 9 months.