Try these easy entrees using Athens® and Apollo fillo dough.
SAFFRON SCALLOP PHYLLO BAKE
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds sea scallops, quartered
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed before use
5 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9”x14”), thawed
Fresh basil, for garnish
In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Season scallops with garlic salt and pepper. Add scallops to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth, crushed red pepper flakes, and saffron threads. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Layer 5 fillo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter-oil mixture as you layer them. Cut sheets widthwise into twenty-eight ½ -inch strips. Place 7 strips in a layered free form shape on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush shapes with butter-oil mixture. Repeat 3 times to make 4 mounds of fillo. Bake in preheated 375ºF oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Spoon 1 cup of filling into four, 1-cup ramekins. Mound fillo on top of mixture.
Garnish with basil and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.