Impress your guests with these starters using Athens® or Apollo fillo dough.
1 pound 8 ounce flank steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup red or green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup prepared salsa
2 tablespoons butter
20 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9”x14”), thawed
Season steak with garlic salt and black pepper. In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add beef and cook, stirring continuously, for 4 - 5 minutes. Add onion and peppers and cook 2 - 3 minutes more. Add salsa and heat thoroughly. Remove from heat.
In a small saucepan, melt butter with 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Lightly brush 3” tart pans with butter-oil mixture. Layer 5 fillo sheets, brushing each with the butter-oil mixture. Cut six 4-inch circles from fillo stack. Place cut circles in the buttered pan. Carefully push fillo into pan, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Repeat process 3 more times to make 24 tarts.
Bake empty fillo tarts in preheated 350ºF oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove fillo tarts from pans.
Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling into each tart. Serve immediately.
Yield: 24 tarts
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.