FRUIT-TOPPED PHYLLO CHEESECAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons milk
20 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9”x14”), thawed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
In a large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, egg, lemon juice and milk, until smooth.
Lightly butter a 9” pie plate. Cut a 10” circle out of wax paper to use as a pattern. Fold the pattern in half and
use this as a guide to cut through 20 phyllo sheets. Overlap the sheets of phyllo (using curved edges of phyllo to fit along sides of
pan), brushing each sheet with melted butter as you cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Spread cream cheese mixture over the top layer of phyllo.
Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for about 30 minutes or until center is set. Let cool 15 minutes.
While cheesecake is baking, make topping. In a medium saucepan, combine berries and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring,
until mixture is hot. In small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water and Grand Marnier. Stir cornstarch mixture into berries. Cook
over medium heat, stirring, about 2 minutes or until mixture is thick. Remove from heat and let cool. Spread berry mixture over cooled cheesecake.
Serve cool or chilled.
Yield: 10 servings
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.