Make it Fabulous with Fillo Recipe Contest Entry
40 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup smooth peanut butter, warmed
2 large bananas, peeled and cut into ¼” rounds
7 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, cut into 32, ¼-ounce pieces
1/2 cup warmed hot fudge sauce
Place phyllo on the work surface. Layer 5 phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter and sprinkling with sugar. Gently brush top of sheet with butter. Spread 1 tablespoon warm peanut butter down center of strip.
Arrange 3 banana slices standing upright and 2 chocolate pieces in center of the sheet, on top of the peanut butter, about 1”-2” from bottom. Leave about a ½” of space on each side of filling. Roll bottom of phyllo sheet up to cover filling, then roll phyllo up once or twice more toward the top. Fold sides in toward the center before rolling up to the end of the phyllo. Brush top and sides with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat process to create 16 rolls.
Bake rolls in preheated 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes then slice diagonally and plate. Drizzle with warm hot fudge sauce.
Yield: 16 rolls
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.