PARISIAN CHICKEN BITES
Make it Fabulous with Fillo Recipe Contest Entry
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups chopped fennel bulb (about 1 medium bulb)
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon green onion tops – green parts only, chopped
2 medium Braeburn apples, diced
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
20 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup seedless blackberry preserves
1 cup dark or semi sweet chocolate chips
In a medium frying pan over medium high heat, heat oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss together fennel, rosemary, green onions and chicken. Cook in hot oil until chicken is cooked through and fennel is tender, 6-10 minutes. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine apples, lime juice, cilantro and pecans. Toss chicken mixture with apple mixture.
Layer 4 phyllo sheets, brushing each with the melted butter. Cut the layered phyllo widthwise into 8 strips. About 1 inch from end of phyllo strip, place 1 ½ teaspoon of chicken filling. Fold one corner of phyllo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold back and forth into triangle to end of strip. Lightly brush the outside of the triangle with butter. Place triangle seam side down, at least 1 inch apart, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat process 4 more times to make 40 triangles.
Bake in preheated 350° F oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.
In a microwave-safe bowl, heat blackberry preserves in microwave until melted, about 1 min on high. Stir in chocolate until melted and smooth. If needed microwave chocolate blackberry mixture in 15-second increments until the chocolate is completely melted.
Drizzle the blackberry chocolate sauce over triangles. Arrange on a plate and serve warm.
Yield: 40 triangles
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.