Impress your guests with these starters using Athens® or Apollo fillo dough.
8 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9”x14”), thawed
Cooking spray, as needed
¼ cup or savory or sweet filling
Preheat the oven to three hundred fifty degrees. Lay one sheet of fillo on the work surface. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Repeat with three more sheets of fillo.
Trim the layered fillo to form a 9”x12” stack. Cut the fillo stack in half both vertically and horizontally to create four rectangles. Each four and a half inches by six inches.
In the center of a fillo rectangle, place one heaping tablespoon of savory or sweet filling.
Gather the points of the rectangle and twist slightly just above the filling to form a pouch. Place the pouch on an ungreased baking sheet. Lightly spray the pouch. Repeat to create four pouches. Next, use four more sheets of fillo to make a total of eight pouches.
Bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.