Impress your guests with these starters using Athens® or Apollo fillo dough.
12 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
Cooking spray, as needed
2 cups of sweet or savory filling
Preheat the oven to three hundred fifty degrees. Turn four, 2-ounce soufflé cups upside down and set them on a baking tray. Spray with cooking spray.
Lay a sheet of fillo on the work surface. Spray lightly, fold it in half horizontally and place it over the soufflé cup.
Drape and crimp the edges of the fillo around the base of the cup. On the same cup, repeat, folding two more sheets of fillo. Stagger the fillo sheets as they are draped and crimped around the cup. Spray the outside of the last sheet.
Repeat with the remaining fillo to create four blossoms. Be sure to leave enough space between each cup so the fillo doesn't touch.
Bake blossoms for about 10 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. After cooling, carefully remove the blossoms from each soufflé cup.
Fill each blossom with one half cup of savory or sweet filling. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 blossoms
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.