Impress your guests with these starters using Athens® or Apollo fillo dough.
16 sheets Athens Fillo Dough (9" x 14"), thawed
Cooking spray, as needed
3 1/2 cups savory or sweet filling
Preheat the oven to three hundred fifty degrees. Lay a sheet of fillo dough on the work surface. Spray fillo generously with cooking spray. Repeat with 7 more sheets of fillo.
Spread one and three quarters cup of savory or sweet filling along the short side of the fillo.
Roll the fillo up over the filling. Fold the left and right end over 1 inch and then roll to the end of the fillo to form a strudel. Repeat with the other fillo set and the remaining filling.
Place the strudel on an ungreased baking sheet seam-side down. Score into four pieces. Lightly spray the strudel. Repeat to create a second strudel.
Bake the strudels for about 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Remove strudels from the oven and let set for about 2 minutes. Cut each strudel into four pieces. Serve immediately.
Yield: 2 strudels
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.