1 1/2 pounds walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Zest of 1 lemon
40 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9" x 14"), thawed
In a medium bowl, combine walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and lemon zest.
Lightly spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray. Place 20 sheets of fillo on the bottom of the pan, lightly spraying each sheet with cooking spray as you place in the pan. Cover with 1/2 of the walnut mixture. Layer 5 more fillo sheets on top, lightly spraying each sheet. Spread the remaining half of the walnut mixture over the fillo and cover with another 15 lightly sprayed fillo sheets. With a sharp knife, score fillo into 1 1/2" diamonds or squares. Lightly spray the top with cooking spray so it bakes golden brown.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden brown.
Cool slightly and pour warm syrup (recipe below) evenly over baklava. Cool completely, cut and serve. Tips
•Use butter flavored cooking spray, if desired.
•Instead of cooking spray, brush fillo with 1 cup melted butter, if desired.
•Serve à la mode with a scoop of ice cream, or drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Yield: 30 to 40 small pieces
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 cup honey
1 lemon peel
Bring all ingredients to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and cool slightly.
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.