1-1/2 pounds of walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
40 sheets Athens™ or Apollo™ fillo dough
1 cup butter, melted
Combine walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
Brush a 12" x 17" baking pan with butter. Place 10 buttered fillo sheets on bottom. Sprinkle with 1/3 of walnut mixture. Place 7 more buttered fillo sheets on top, then 1/3 more walnut mixture, top with another 7 buttered fillo sheets and rest of walnuts. Finish baklava with another 16 fillo sheets and brush with remaining butter.
With a very sharp knife, score fillo into 1-1/2" diamonds or squares. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Pour warm syrup evenly over baklava.
Makes 88 pieces
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup honey
2 cups water
1 lemon peel
Bring all ingredients to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and cool slightly. Pour warm syrup over baklava. Cool completely, cut and serve.
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.