SMOKED CHICKEN IN PHYLLO
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced onions
2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
2 cups minced dark, smoked or roasted chicken meat
1/3 cup (1 medium) roasted and minced red bell pepper
1 1/4 cup grated, part-skim mozzarella
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup cut fresh chives
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
20 sheets Athens or Apollo fillo dough
1/2 cup butter
In sauté pan, heat oil and sauté onions until translucent. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft. Cool completely. Mix with remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare 8 individual strudels according to the directions for Rolls or Strudels on our Shapes & Uses page. Brush outside with butter and place seam side down on cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 375oF oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
Serve hot with Apple-Plum Cream and Fresh Zucchini Relish according to directions below.
1 cup non-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon low-calorie mayonnaise
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 lemon peel, finely grated
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
1 plum, minced
Line a fine sieve with coffee filter, cheese cloth or paper towel. Place over small bowl. Fill with yogurt and allow to drain for 2 hours. Discard liquid. Combine with remaining ingredients. Chill completely. Spoon onto plate.
FRESH ZUCCHINI RELISH
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium zucchini, cut julienne in food processor
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons minced pecans
Heat oil and garlic over low heat for 2 minutes. Add zucchini and warm thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with pecans.
Spoon onto plate.
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.