ROASTED PLUM PHYLLO RAVIOLI WITH BRANDY SAUCE
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 fresh plums
5 sheets Athens or Apollo fillo dough
1/4 cup butter or margarine
Egg wash as needed
Preheat oven to 375°F In a small mixing bowl combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
Wash plums, cut in half, and remove pit. Place cut side down on greased baking pan. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar. Place in oven for 5 to 10 minutes until the plums are soft to the touch, but still retain their shape (5 minutes if plums are ripe, 10 minutes if they are firm).
Butter and layer five sheets of fillo and cut into twelve
Place one plum cut side down in center of each circle, place one circle on top and press to seal edges together.
Cut a slit in the top of the fillo to vent. Brush with egg wash.
Bake at 375°F for 10 to 15 minutes.
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Brandy
Whisk egg yolks and sugar together.
Heat milk to a simmer over low heat. Add half of the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture blending with a wire whisk. Add the egg mixture to the hot milk mixture and stir constantly until mixture is thickened. Do not let the sauce boil. Stir in vanilla extract and brandy. Serve warm.
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.