This classic Greek treat features spinach and four cheeses in flaky, golden-brown phyllo triangles.
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ½ cup scallions, minced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup fresh dill, minced
- ½ cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces farmer (or cottage) cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 40 sheets Athens Fillo® Dough (9″ x 14″ ), thawed
- Cooking spray
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In food processor, combine spinach with scallions, parsley, dill, cheeses, eggs, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Open the fillo and cover the sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of fillo on cutting surface and lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat with two more sheets of fillo, but do not spray the top layer of fillo. Cut layered fillo into thirds lengthwise. Place one tablespoon of filling about 1” from corner of each strip. Fold one corner of fillo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself. Spray the outside of the triangle to produce a golden brown color when baked.
- Place triangles seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet at least 1” apart. Repeat until the filling is used up. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
- Instead of cooking spray, brush with 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Substitute low fat cheese to decrease the fat.
- Triangles can be wrapped in plastic and frozen prior to baking. To serve, unwrap and follow baking instructions.