Looking for delicious mini tarts recipes? Check out this Apple Brûlée Phyllo Bites recipe.
- 1 McIntosh apple
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens Mini Fillo Shells
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Peel and dice the apple into ¼ inch pieces. Place apple pieces in a microwave safe bowl with enough water to cover the apple. Cover and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes or until tender; drain well. Divide the apples between the 30 shells. Spoon ¼ – ½ teaspoon of caramel over the apples. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, cinnamon and cream. Stir and cook over medium heat until it begins to boil. Remove from heat and slowly pour the cream mixture into the beaten eggs, 1 tablespoon at a time, while whisking. Return the mixture to the saucepan and heat until it starts to boil; whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Carefully spoon the mixture into the shells until they are full. Bake for 10 minutes. Combine the remaining white and brown sugar. While warm, sprinkle each with sugar mixture.
- If desired, use a crème brûlée torch to caramelize the tops.
If desired, garnish with a dollop of whipped cream.
Amount per serving: Calories 40, Calories from Fat – 15, Total Fat – 2g, Saturated fat – 1g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 15mg, Sodium – 15mg, Dietary Fiber – 0g, Sugars – 3g, Protein – 1g