This hearty, meat-free pie features roasted butternut squash, Swiss chard and ricotta cheese, all nestled into a flaky fillo crust.
- 1 roll (20 sheets) Athens® Fillo Dough, (9”x14”), thawed
- 3 cups butternut squash, 3/4” diced, roasted
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups Swiss chard, cleaned and 1” diced
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Coat the squash with oil and roast at 375°F. for 20 minutes. In a medium saute pan, heat oil and saute onions 5 minutes. Add garlic and roasted squash. Saute for 8 minutes. Add pine nuts and saute for 2 minutes. Lightly wilt the Swiss chard into the squash mixture. Add ricotta and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place one sheet of fillo on counter, keeping the remaining sheets covered with a damp towel or plastic wrap. Lightly coat the entire fillo sheet with cooking spray. Repeat with four more sheets of fillo, but do not spray the top layer of fillo. Repeat with five more sheets. Then layer ten sheets using the same procedure.
- Lay one set of the five layered fillo into the 9″ cake pan. Place the second five layered fillo set perpendicular to the first set in the bottom of the pan with the remainder of the fillo hanging over the sides of the pan. Press the fillo into the edges of the pan, being careful not to crack or split the fillo dough. Put the warm squash mixture into the fillo crust. Place the ten layered fillo set on top the filling. Press the bottom and top fillo layers together on the rim of the pan. Trim excess fillo in the shape of the pan. Spray the top of the pie with the cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 375°F. oven for 30 minutes or until the pie is golden brown. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- *Can use leftover squash.
Serving size: 1 slice (160g), Amount per serving: Calories 260, Calories from Fat – 120, Total Fat –14g, Saturated fat – 4.5g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol –25mg, Sodium – 310mg, Total carbohydrate -27g, Dietary Fiber – 3g, Sugars – 3g, Protein – 10g, Vitamin A – 130%, Vitamin C –2 0%, Calcium – 15%, Iron 8%