- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Ranch salad dressing mix
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, thin-sliced
- 30 small pieces dark walnuts (for eyes)
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Mini
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together cream cheese, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, bacon and dressing mix. Using either a mini scoop or your hands, roll some of the filling into 15 balls, each approximately 1 inch in diameter. Then, roll the balls in the remaining shredded cheddar. Place each ball into a shell, pressing lightly to slightly flatten the balls. Roll 15 more balls, each approximately 3/4 inch in diameter, and then roll in the shredded cheddar. Press these 3/4” balls on top of the 1” balls to form the “heads” and “bodies” of the chicks. With a sharp knife, cut 30 small triangles from the cheddar slices. Two of these will form the beak for each chick. Gently press into the top cheese ball to form the beak, then press a walnut piece on either side for eyes. Cut 30 elongated ovals from the cheddar to form wings, then press gently into the “body.” Press a second Mini Fillo Shell lightly on top, as if the chick is hatching out of an egg.
• For added crispness, preheat oven to 350⁰F. Place empty shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes. Cool and fill.
• Small pieces of black olives, jalapeños or black beans can also be used for the eyes.
Serving size: 1 shell (30g); Calories: 110; Calories from Fat: 20; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium: 270mg; Total Carbohydrate: 4g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 6g; Vitamin A: 4%; Vitamin C: 0%; Calcium: 8%; Iron: 0%