A filling of fresh spinach, chicken and feta finds a home in flaky phyllo in this sensational strudel.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 2 cups (about 1 pound) cooked chicken, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup feta (or goat) cheese, crumbled
- 10 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- Cooking spray (butter-flavored spray, optional)
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add onions and scallions and cook for 2 minutes, or until tender. Add the spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Place the mixture in a colander and drain well. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, mix the greens, chicken, parsley and salt and pepper. Mix well. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and egg white. Add the beaten eggs and feta cheese to chicken mixture, stirring to combine.
- Cover work surface with waxed paper. Layer 10 phyllo sheets on the wax paper, lightly coating each with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs over each sheet as you layer them. Spread filling down the length of the top phyllo sheet, leaving a 2” border.
- Roll up the phyllo from the long edge. Do not roll tightly, or strudel may split. Tuck or fold the edges at the ends.
- Place strudel seam-down on ungreased baking sheet and brush with butter-oil mixture. Score top into 6 equal sections. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.