- 12 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9” x 14”),
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2”
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces herbed goat cheese, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 24 bamboo cocktail forks
- 24 small thyme sprigs, for garnish
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place potatoes and enough water to cover them in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes just become soft. Drain off water; add cream, unsalted butter, salt and pepper. Mash potatoes until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water together to make an egg wash. Set aside.
- Unroll and cover fillo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of fillo on cutting board, lightly brush with melted butter. Layer and repeat with two more sheets. Do not butter the top layer. Place stack with short side near you. Cut in half horizontally so you have two 9” x 7” pieces. Then cut each piece into three equal strips, each approximately 3” x 7”. Repeat with remaining nine sheets of fillo to yield 24 strips. Reroll unused fillo sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
- About 1/2” from short end of fillo strip, pipe or spoon in 1 tablespoon of potato filling. Fold the 1/2” of dough up onto filling, fold in sides lengthwise (1/4-1/2”), then roll potato filling up the length of the strip. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Lightly brush with egg wash. Repeat process with remaining filling and fillo. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place one cheese cube on each, and insert bamboo cocktail fork through cheese and “pierogi.” Garnish with thyme.
• Pierogis may be rolled, but not baked, and frozen up to 1 week. Bake as directed without defrosting.
Serving size: 1 piece (30g); Calories: 80; Calories from Fat: 50; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 3.5g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Sodium: 60mg; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Total Carbohydrate: 4g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 2g; Vitamin A: 4%; Vitamin C: 0%; Calcium: 2%; Iron: 0%