A savory pastry and meat appetizer the entire family will enjoy.
- 1 package Athens® Fillo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds beef
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup milk
- Thaw two rolls of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350⁰F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add onions and cook covered for 5-10 minutes or until onions become soft and begin to brown. Add beef, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, allspice and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until meat has browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together 1/3 cup each olive oil and butter. Lightly brush a 9” x 13” baking pan. Unroll and cover fillo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Lay three sheets of fillo in the baking pan. Liberally brush top sheet with oil/butter mixture. Repeat this process until one roll of dough is used, tucking in any excess dough.
- Spread meat mixture on top of dough. Layer the second roll of dough on top in the same way until the second roll is used. Brush the top layer thoroughly with oil/butter mixture. Cut the pie into 12 equal pieces. Whisk egg and egg yolk into milk. Add a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pour this mixture evenly over top of pie. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving Size: 1 piece (140g); Calories: 370; Calories from Fat: 200; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 70mg; Sodium: 260mg; Total Carbohydrates: 26g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 13g: Vitamin A: 6%; Vitamin C: 2%; Calcium: 6%; Iron: 10%