Enjoy these comfort sweet phyllo desserts with people close to you for an amazing culinary experience.
- 20 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 12 gingersnaps, crushed to powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, mix together apple pie filling, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside.
- Unroll and cover fillo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of fillo on cutting board, lightly brush with butter, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of gingersnap crumbs. Layer and repeat with three more sheets. Do not butter or add crumbs to top layer. With a pizza cutter, cut four 3 1/2” x 9” strips.
- About 1” from end of fillo strip, place 1 tablespoon of filling. Fold one corner of fillo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle unto itself to end of strip. Lightly brush outside of triangle with butter. Place triangle seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan. Repeat process four more times to make 20 triangles placed at least 1″ apart. Reroll unused fillo sheets and follow storage instructions on package.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Crystallized ginger is sold in packets, usually found in the grocer’s produce department.
Serving size: 1 piece (45g); Calories: 120; Calories from Fat: 50; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Sodium: 90mg; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Total Carbohydrates: 16g; Sugars: 7g; Protein: 1g; Vitamin A: 2%; Vitamin C: 0%; Calcium: 0%; Iron: 2%