- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup extra-fine sugar
- Food coloring, if desired
- 3 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Mini Fillo Shells
- Assorted fillings of choice such as: lemon curd, cherry
preserves, egg-shaped candies, etc.
- Preheat oven to 200⁰F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk four egg whites at medium speed approximately 5 minutes or until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue whisking until soft peaks start to form. Increase speed to medium-high and add sugar one tablespoon at a time, whisking for 5-10 minutes or until stiff peaks form and meringue is glossy but not dry.
- If using food coloring, add and whisk 1 minute or until color is incorporated.
- Using a round or star-shaped tip, pipe meringue in a circular motion inside shell, continuing up above the shell sides, i.e. “building walls” with the center empty. Place on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the meringues are dry. Turn off the oven and allow the meringue shells to rest inside for 15 minutes.
- Spoon or pipe desired filling into the centers. Serve at room temperature.
• Granulated sugar processed in a food processor for 1 minute can be substituted for extra-fine sugar
• Once baked, the meringue shells (without filling) can be stored for 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutritional information is without filling Serving size: 1 shell (11g); Calories: 35; Calories from Fat: 5; Total Fat: .5g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 15mg; Total Carbohydrate: 6g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 1g; Vitamin A: 0%; Vitamin C: 0%; Calcium: 0%; Iron: 0%