When you’re craving Mexican food and pizza on the same night, reach for fillo dough instead of taco shells. Replace the marinara with enchilada sauce, and load on the cheese and beans to combine the best flavors of both worlds.
- 10 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ Tablespoons water
- 3 Tablespoons red enchilada sauce
- 1 jalapeno chicken sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- ¼ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup Mexican style canned corn, drained
- ½ cup shredded cheese, taco blend
- Fillo Crust: Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine egg white, oil and water with a fork. Open the fillo and cover the sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of fillo on cutting surface and lightly coat with egg white mixture. Repeat with nine more sheets of fillo. Cut the layered fillo in half widthwise to create two pizza bases and place on a baking tray. Reroll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
- Bake for 8 minutes or just until the fillo starts to brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Spread half the enchilada sauce over each baked pizza base. Top each pizza with sausage, beans, corn and cheese. Bake on baking tray for 10-12 minutes. Remove and cut into pieces. Serve.
- Assembled pizzas can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen prior to baking. To serve, unwrap and follow baking instructions.
- Egg white mixture holds fillo layers together better than cooking spray.
Serving size: 1 pizza (133g), Amount per serving: Calories 270, Calories from Fat – 120, Total Fat – 14g, Saturated fat – 3.5g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 30mg, Sodium – 510 mg, Total Carbohydrate – 24g, Dietary Fiber – 2g, Sugars – 3g, Protein – 12g, Vitamin A – 8%, Vitamin C – 2%, Calcium – 15%, Iron – 6%