These flaky pastry desserts are sure to delight fruit lovers with a warm filling of cardamom-spiced peaches.
- 12 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 5 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 8 oz. frozen peaches, thawed, diced 1/4″ – 1/2″
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- Cooking spray
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cardamom, 3 tablespoons sugar, flour and salt. Add peaches and combine.
- Unroll and cover fillo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of fillo on work surface and lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat with two more sheets of fillo, but do not spray the top layer of fillo. Cut layered fillo into thirds lengthwise. Place one tablespoon of filling about 1” from corner of each strip. Fold one corner of fillo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself. Repeat with remaining fillo and place triangles on baking sheet. Reroll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water to form an egg wash. Lightly brush triangles with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.
- Turnovers can be wrapped in plastic and frozen prior to baking. Bake as instructed without defrosting.urnovers can be wrapped in plastic and frozen prior to baking.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg are good alternatives to cardamom if desired.
Serving size: 1 turnover (21g), Amount per serving: Calories 70, Calories from Fat – 5, Total Fat –.5g, Saturated fat – 0g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol –15 mg, Sodium – 65mg,Total carbohydrate – 11g, Dietary Fiber – 0g Sugars – 6g, Protein – 1g, Vitamin A – 0%, Vitamin C – 0%, Calcium – 0%, Iron 2%