Give the traditional chicken pot pie an exciting makeover by using flaky fillo dough in place of the usual crust.
- 1 2 1/2 – pound chicken, cut into quarters
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups carrots, medium diced
- 2 cups celery, medium diced
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups reserved chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 20 sheets Athens Fillo® Dough (9″ x 14″ ), thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Place chicken, water and salt into 4-quart soup pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer chicken until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken, cool and dice 2 cups of meat. Strain chicken broth into fresh pan.
- Simmer carrots in strained chicken broth until tender, remove and add to diced chicken. Repeat this procedure with onions and celery.
- In small saucepan, over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, mix well, and cook for 1 minute.
- Then whisk in 2 cups of strained chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In large bowl, place chicken, cooked vegetables, thawed peas, and chicken broth, mixing lightly. Season with basil, salt and pepper. Cool completely and stir in sour cream.
- To make pie, overlap 10 sheets of fillo in a 9″ pie pan, buttering the sheets as you layer them in the pie pan.
- Pour chicken mixture on fillo dough. Top with remaining 10 sheets, overlapping the fillo and brushing each layer. Score top.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown Let stand 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Note: You may also bake in 8″ small ovenproof ramekin dishes or bowls. Follow the above instructions, overlapping the fillo and buttering them as you place into the individual dishes.