This decadent dessert featuring alternating layers of chocolate cream and flaky fillo is sure to capture the attention of the sweet-toothed among your gathering’s attendees.
- 36 sheets Athens Phyllo Dough, (9″ x 14″) thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare 32 Napoleon diamonds according to directions for napoleons linked to the right.
- Dust with cocoa and powdered sugar before baking. Bake on greased cookie sheet in preheated 350ºF oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- In medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of milk, vanilla and salt to a boil.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together. Add flour, whisk smooth and stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk. Whisk yolk mixture into hot milk, bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and mix in chocolate chips, allowing chocolate to melt completely. Cover with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature.
- Assemble Napoleons with 4 layers of fillo diamonds and 3 layers of chocolate cream. For decoration, place paper doily over top fillo diamond, dust with additional cocoa and powdered sugar and remove doily.
- Serve with warm Chocolate Sauce.