This elegant and flavorful entree features crab meat, spinach, two cheeses and more nestled between layers of flaky phyllo.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds fresh spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 pound crabmeat, picked clean of shells (or canned)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 40 sheets Athens Fillo Dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter, add red peppers, onions andmushrooms. Saute until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Place in large bowl and chill.
- Clean spinach and remove stems. Blanch in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and plunge into cold water. Remove and squeeze out excess moisture. Chop spinach.
- Mix spinach with ricotta cheese and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Gently mix crabmeat into chilled vegetable mixture.
- In small bowl, beat eggs and mix with Swiss cheese. Gently fold into crab mixture. Butter a 9″x 13″x 2″ pan. Overlap 10 fillo sheets in the pan, buttering the sheets as you overlap.
- Spread half of crab mixture over the fillo. Top with 10 more additional sheets, buttering as you overlap. Spread the spinach mixture over it.
- Layer with another 10 fillo sheets, buttering the sheets and spread with remaining crab mixture. Top with the last 10 sheets of buttered fillo.
- Score in diamond shape. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 50 to 60.