Perfect for brunch gatherings, this casserole features a flaky phyllo crust and a filling that includes eggs, turkey, mushrooms, spinach and two cheeses.
- Created by Girl Versus Dough
- 1 roll (20 sheets) Athens Fillo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1 lb turkey, ground
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 7 eggs, divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons basil, dried
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground turkey, mushrooms, green pepper and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned, about 10 minutes. Drain turkey mixture; return to skillet. Scramble 6 eggs in a bowl with some salt and pepper to taste and add to skillet along with the tomato. Stir until eggs are set. Remove from heat; stir in 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, and dried basil, remaining egg, remaining 1/2 cup cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cover the phyllo sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter. Place one sheet of fillo in baking dish and lightly brush with butter. Layer and brush 9 more sheets of fillo.
- Top with half of the turkey mixture. Layer and brush another 10 sheets of fillo; top with ricotta mixture. Layer and brush another 5 sheets of fillo and top with remaining turkey mixture. Layer and brush 5 more sheets of phyllo. Reroll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package. Score into squares and bake 40-50 minutes or until golden. Slice into squares and serve warm.
- For easier layering use butter-flavored cooking spray instead of butter to layer fillo dough.
- Can also be made with sausage or extra mushrooms instead of ground turkey.
- MAKE AHEAD: Cover the casserole and place in the fridge overnight. Or freeze for several days and thaw overnight in the fridge. To serve, take casserole out of the fridge 15 minutes before baking, uncover and bake 50 minutes to 1 hour until golden an warmed through.
Serving size: 1 piece (216g), Amount per serving: Calories 380, Calories from Fat – 210, Total Fat – 24g, Saturated fat – 13g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 180mg, Sodium – 330 mg, Total Carbohydrate – 17g, Dietary Fiber – 2g, Sugars – 3g, Protein – 23g