Flaky fillo surrounds meatballs and mozzarella in these easy and tasty appetizers for parties.
- 12 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
- 24 precooked meatballs, approximately 1 1/2” diameter
- 24 slices fresh mozzarella, 1 1/2” diameter, thick-sliced
- Cooking spray
- 24 bamboo cocktail forks
- Optional) 4 ounces pizza sauce or favorite dip
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Unroll and cover fillo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of fillo on a cutting board and lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat with three more sheets of fillo. Do not spray the top sheet. Make three more stacks in the same manner. Cut each stack of fillo in half lengthwise to create two 4 1/2” x 14” pieces. Cut each stack into 3” to 4 1/2” squares. You should now have 24 squares. Place a meatball in the center of each square and top each with a slice of mozzarella. Insert a bamboo cocktail fork into each, pushing about halfway through each meatball. Moisten the perimeter of each square with a little water. Fold opposite corners up to meet at the stick. Bring second two corners up while folding the dough in (like wrapping the end of a gift). Twist points together and pinch into cocktail fork. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray. Reroll unused fillo sheets and follow storing instructions on package. Bake appetizers for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with pizza sauce or favorite dip.
• Meatballs can be formed in advance and frozen in an airtight container. Do not defrost before baking.
• Bamboo forks work better than skewers for this, as they provide more surface area to hold the fillo and are more supportive in holding the heavy meatballs.
Serving size: 1 piece (28g); Calories: 130; Calories from Fat: 35; Total Fat: 4; Saturated Fat: 1.5g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Sodium: 140mg; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Total Carbohydrate: 6g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 5g; Vitamin A: 2%; Vitamin C: 0%; Calcium: 6%; Iron: 2%