Start the event of on the right foot with a party appetizer all of your guests will enjoy.
- 10 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion, sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1.5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt butter in a small sauté pan. Add onions and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions start to brown (approximately 15 minutes). Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together feta, ricotta and basil. Using a vegetable peeler, shave thin ribbons of sweet potato and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine egg white, oil and water with a fork. Unroll and cover fillo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of fillo on cutting board and lightly coat with egg white mixture. Layer and repeat with four more sheets of fillo. With a pizza cutter, cut the layered fillo in half lengthwise and then in thirds horizontally so that you have 6 squares, approximately 4 1/2” wide each. Fold the point of each square over to form a triangle. Cut each triangle in half, giving you 12 triangles. Repeat procedure with remaining five layers of dough. Reroll unused fillo sheets and follow storage instructions on package.
- Lightly brush the tops of the triangles with olive oil and sprinkle with minced garlic. Bake for 5 minutes or until the fillo starts to brown.
- Place a few sweet potato ribbons on each triangle. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of cheese mixture on sweet potatoes and top with caramelized onions. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Garnish with additional basil if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving size: 1 piece (35g); Calories: 70; Calories from Fat: 40; Total Fat: 7.5g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Sodium: 90mg; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Total Carbohydrates: 5g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 17g; Vitamin A: 10%; Vitamin C: 2%; Calcium: 4%; Iron: 2%