This twist on the Mexican favorite puts traditional tamale ingredients in a crunchy Mini Fillo Shell.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 package (1.25 ounce) taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 2 tablespoons grilled corn, frozen (optional)
- 1 box corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens Mini Fillo Shells
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Brown ground beef in a medium skillet. Drain. Whisk together the water and taco seasoning mix and add to the drained meat. Mix well. Add taco sauce and corn (if using). Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine corn muffin mix, egg, milk and cheese. Spoon or pipe 1 tablespoon of cornbread muffin mixture into each shell. Spoon a teaspoon of meat mixture in the center of each shell on top of the corn muffin mixture. The meat will sink down a little. Arrange on a baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until muffin mix is lightly browned. Let cool slightly and garnish with sour cream if desired.
- Serve immediately.
VARIATIONS: Can also be made with ground turkey or chicken
Serving size: 1 shell (21g) Calories 60, Calories from Fat-25, Saturated Fat-1g, Trans Fat-0g, Cholesterol-10mg, Sodium-110mg, Dietary Fiber 0g, Total Carbohydrate-5g, Sugars-1g, Protein-2g, Vitamin A-0%, Vitamin C-0%, Calcium-2%, Iron-2%