A filling of ground turkey, spinach and feta finds a home in flaky phyllo in these tasty pastry pouches.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 pound ground Turkey (or chicken)
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, roasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 20 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- Bourbon Sauce:
- 1/3 cup shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons tomato-based barbeque sauce
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add feta, pine nuts, salt, paprika, cinnamon and parsley, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Layer 4 phyllo sheets, brushing each with the butter-oil mixture and cut into two, 5-inch squares. Place about 1/4 cup of filling in center of square. Brush phyllo from edge of filling to each point of square lightly with water. Gather points of square and pinch together just above filling. Brush pouch with butter-oil mixture. Repeat process 4 times to make 10 pouches.
- Place filled pouches at least 1″ apart on cookie sheet or baking pan. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the pouches are baking, prepare the bourbon sauce. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Deglaze shallots in pan with bourbon. Add broth and barbecue sauce and cook about 3 minutes, or until broth mixture is reduced.
- Serve pouches warm with bourbon sauce.